Friday, August 25, 2006

The Hazards of Playing Doubles at the Net

One of the dictums in playing doubles in an up-down formation is that the player at the net should not look back at his partner or at the direction of a ball that passes him. Rather, he should focus ahead of him and, by judging the body language of his opponents, tell what type of shot his backcourt partner hit and anticipate his opponent’s next shot so as to intercept it.

When I started out inexperienced, I was chided by my one-off partner not to look back at him and I was rather piqued by that. Never critique your partner while a point was being played. And it doesn't mean that the "don't look behind you" principle is always right or safe. An incident illustrates how that policy can misfire with dire consequences.

My partner at the backcourt inadvertently hit a floater that was quickly pounced upon by the opposing net man. There was no way I could see a floater coming. With one fell swoop, he lashed out a karate chop with his Ncode5. The next thing I knew was the ball had hit me on the left eye. Oh Lord, it was a bull’s eye! It happened quick as a flash.

It was rather late in the night to seek medical attention and I rushed home with the hope of sleeping it away. However, as I hit the sack, pain and pressure started to well up in the eye.

Without prior appointment, I sought medical treatment at the national eye clinic the next morning. Registration done, I took my seat to wait for my turn. It was a soaring business for the clinic judging by the attendance. Was it always like that? I don't know. I never had an eye-test until then.

It needed two applications of eye-drop before the pupil was sufficiently dilated for examination. The doctor could not ascertain from preliminary examination any long-term damage that the inflammation might mask and I was scheduled for another appointment. Meanwhile, the inflammation subsided with the use of steroids laced eye-drops but it soon became clear that my vision was not clear. The inflammation had given way to a dark tiny patch within the cornea that moved in tandem with the eye movement. It was as if an insect was flying annoyingly in front of me whenever my eyes moved. When I closed my eyes in sleep, the dark spot turned white. That condition lasted three worrisome days. All-in-all, I had to be examined three times spanning 3 weeks to test confirm normalcy of eye pressure and vision.

The twin hazards of playing doubles are ... being hit in your front, crotch included. That aside, from your rear on your head!


Or squarely on your butt!


Woe betide you, my partner!

(search word tennis)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home